This intensive three-day video driven training supports foster and adoptive parents in reflecting on and improving their cultural competence in parenting as well as interfacing with other individuals from different cultures. Drawing from the premise that individuals as well as agencies must change to meet the diverse and changing needs of children and communities, the training focuses on four cultural groups; African American, Asian/Pacific, Hispanic/Latino and Native American.
- To identify specific roles and related skills for cultural competence
- To conduct and reflect upon a cultural competency self assessment
- To increase knowledge and understanding of the African American, Asian/Pacific American, Hispanic/Latino, and Native American cultural groups and their respective family values and strengths
- To enhance the capacity of participants to work in cross cultural situations with children, other foster and adoptive parents and agency staff
- To identify strategies for all foster and adoptive parents to support their agency’s cultural competence